Women’s football

Scottish Womens Premier League

The howling wind which was prevalent in Farmington’s last outing against Hibernian seemed a distant memory as Rangers visited Strathmore Park to enjoy the bright sunshine and warm conditions.

Farmington named a near un-changed line up, with Caren Webster replacing Julia Scott, being the only alteration. Rangers had the first chance of the match when a lofted through ball caught the Farmington rear-guard unawares. Jen Callaghan chased the ball down but was met by a thundering challenge from Cat Fitzsimmons who reached the ball first to make an important early save. Rangers tried again in the 11th minute when Alana Marshall shot on goal, but her effort sailed well off target. Five minutes later Alana Bruce tried her luck from distance also, and whilst struck with power, the ball cleared Kelsey Brown’s crossbar with some air to spare. Jennifer Condie volleyed wide in the 23rd minute after the Rangers 8 had been quickest to capitalise on the scraps from a half cleared free kick. Farmington were enjoying the bulk of the possession, but without carving out any clear cut chances of note. This trend would continue up to the break, with neither Goalkeeper being overly troubled.

The introduction of Julia Scott gave Farmington a fresh attacking outlet, and it was Scott’s interplay with Rachael Small that produced a delightful crossed ball that just evaded the head of Emma McCulley. Two minutes later another ball was fired across the face of goal, but with no blue shirts on hand to capitalise. Lucy Graham was having an excellent game in midfield for Farmington, and in the 21st minute a surging run through the heart of the visitors ended in something of an anti-climax as the final shot rolled wide of target. Small tried her luck with an audacious chip with quarter of an hour still to play, but this was not to be Farmington’s day. The game duly proceeded to its almost inevitable conclusion, with neither side finding the goal required to secure a SWPL victory.

League Division 1

The Farmington Reserves returned from sunny Ayrshire empty handed after another battling display against Kilwinning.

After losing two sloppy goals early doors the Angus girls grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and were desperately unlucky not to salvage the points.

With Danni McGinley and Judi Young crashing efforts off the bar and the home keeper in no mood to concede it was a Cat Gallagher effort that was the sole Forfar counter.

Even a brief rally by the home side was dealt with by the Forfar defenders, Dana Soutar pulling off two excellent saves in quick succession and Emily Gallacher and Amy Doyle mopping up any potential threat. Best on the day were midfield duo Cheryl Rigden and Cat Gallagher with newcomer Ash Burnett showing some skilful touches after being introduced at half-time.


Arbroath CSC 0, Forfar Wildcats 15

It took the Wildcats just 6 minutes to get into their stride when a good passing move picked out Morgan McVicar to calmly slot home.

Four minutes later Taylor McEwen made it two after good work by Cali Roberts.

Five minutes later and it was Roberts’ turn to get on the score sheet after being put through by McVicar.

After a lot of pressure and Wildcats corners there were two goals in one minute, firstly the goal of the game from 25 yards by Katie Valentine, then a great solo effort by Roberts.

Right on the stroke of half time, Sophie Young made it six with another great solo effort.

Nine minutes into the second half and Roberts made it seven after a great pass by Valentine.

On 45 minutes, Young finished off a great passing move between McEwen and Valentine.

A minute later Lia Cameron made it nine and two minutes later McEwen made it 10 when the ball fell kindly to her for a simple tap in after the Arbroath keeper could only parry a fine strike from young following good work from Valentine.

On 51 minutes another great solo effort from Young made it 11 before Roberts put in McEwen for her hat-trick.

On 58 minutes McEwen turned supplier for Valentine to score her 2nd.

A minute later McEwen got her fourth after a fierce Cameron shot was blocked before, in the dying seconds Cameron grabbed her second. A fine all round team performance where Eilidh Massie was solid in defense and player of the match Katie Valentine was involved in everything.

Scone Thistle 1, Forfar Farmington 4

Scone started the better and created a couple of early chances which Sherie Stewart in goal coped with well.

The Scone players displayed a good controlled touch when passing. Leila Strachan came close for Forfar after a direct pass from Caitlin Mitchell in midfield. Bethany Moir and Leah White had to work hard to keep Scone from breaching the Forfar defences.

When that happened, Sherie Stewart showed a strong pair of hands to repel all advances.

Carrie Hoggan and Lois Miller were equally committed when chasing the down the ball to pressurise the Scone defence which created some advantage.

This type of pressure led to the breakthrough when Erin Thomson scored just before half time when Scone failed to clear their defence.

Caitlin Mitchell doubled the lead with a left shot low in the goal after a very good build up comprising several passes. Leila Strachan came close with a volley on the turn direct from a corner which had scone worried. Scone continued to press forward and this pressure resulted in a an own goal as Forfar failed to clear the ball. Lois Miller scored at the other end to extend the Forfar lead after another accurate corner from Caitlin Mitchell wasn’t cleared. Leila Strachan scored the last when she collected a Scone goal kick near the half way line and smashed a left foot shot back low to the corner of the Scone goal.

Broughty United 2, Forfar Farmington Blues 8

Forfar Farmington faced a feisty bunch when they played Broughty United in Dundee. Running out worthy winners in the end, this was a contest that was much closer than the score line suggests.

Broughty started well with a couple of chances early on against a Forfar side with only one substitute. But what they lacked in numbers they more than made up for with the passion with which they played. Their passing of the ball betrayed an appreciation of the beautiful game more in line with their more senior colleagues.

They also kept a structure to the team which meant they could take advantage of the abundant spaces that this pitch provided.

Forfar made the first breakthrough with a goal from close in by Lois Miller from a Zoe Morland pass after a great passing move. Zoe Morland scored herself again after a sweeping move that almost involved the whole team. Zoe scored again later on, this time winning the ball herself with some persistent tackling.

Leila Strachan scored the fourth goal after coming on as substitute with a left foot shot that was too strong for the goal keeper to keep out of the net. Broughty United played well but were not allowed much room by the defensive unit of Bethany Moir and Leah White and confidence inspiring Sherie Stewart in goal, particularly with a high shot which she did well to push out.

Broughty started the second half well with a goal soon after the restart. Forfar soon extended their lead with an opportunistic goal when Caitlin Mitchell chipped over the keeper and defenders from a very narrow angle into the far corner of goal. Their lead was extended after Lois Miller pounced on a through ball from Caitlin Mitchell to score.

Caitlin scored soon after with her left foot this time, delivered low under the goalkeeper. Leila Strachan nearly scored with a strong left foot shot on the turn which hit the inside of the Broughty post but bounced out.

Carrie Hoggan hit the right hand corner of the goal herself before scoring Forfar’s last goal when she stroked the ball across the goal to give the goal keeper no chance. Broughty United scored again after the Forfar defence failed to clear the ball.

This was an impressive performance from an improving team with all round ability and plenty of heart, epitomised by two goal hero Zoe Morland. It was very much a whole team performance.