Spoting yesteryear

40 years ago

Forfar Curling Club continued their run of rather disappointing results in inter-club matches with a 22-23 defeat from Panmure.

The result was not as close as the score suggests, as one of the Panmure rinks failed to appear and Forfar were awarded a 6-0 win for this game. The other two Forfar rinks lost, although they both had good games.

On Saturday, Forfar Athletic will travel to meet Montrose.

Not too long ago the Gable Enders were a team to be respected by every club in the Second Division, but since then fortunes have changed and Montrose have sunk from being promotion contenders to occupants of the ninth bottom position.

30 years ago

After the thrills and spills of the Scottish cup tie it was back to the bread and butter of the second division for Forfar Athletic.

And it was back to earth with a bang, with only one point being salvaged from two away matches against teams from the lower end of the league.

That single point, which took the Loons to the 30 mark for the season, was achieved in near Arctic like conditions against Stirling Albion in mid-week.

Relegation fears for Forfar’s first and second Squash teams were diminished.

Forfar I travelled to meet Perth and collected 15 points. Meanwhile, Forfar II ended their relegation worries with a 3-2 and 16 points against Dundee University.

The Forfar Boys Club under 11 team crashed 5-1 to Arbroath Lads Club on Sunday.

They could not cope with the wind and although goalkeeper C. Seaton had to pick the ball out of the back of the net on five occasions he had some excellent saves.

R. Carnegie was the Forfar marksman.

20 years ago

Action in the Forfar Domino League paled into insignificance last week, when compared to a much touted challenge match.

Jarman’s Hotel was the venue for the big showdown involving the ‘aging Amateurs’ and the ‘Young Professionals’.

All roads led to Reekie Linn for members of Angus Cycling Club.

The group set off along Glamis Road and headed for Balindarg, Maryton and Kirriemuir.

They then passed Kihnnordy Loch and Kingoldrum before taking the high road over the hill to Meikle Kenny and Lintrathen.

It was then past Peel Farm and onto the Reekie Linn to the club’s hut for the drum up.