Sporting yesteryear

30 years ago

FORFAR Athletic Football Club, like the Forfar Dispatch, celebrated its centenary year in 1984.

To mark the club’s first 100 years, a special publication was planned and preparations were well underway.

FORFAR West End continued their division two title challenge with a comfortable home win over Perth Celtic.

They enjoyed much of the play in the first half but had only one counter to show for their efforts, the marksman being Bennet.

The Forfar side continued to dominate after the break and they added to their tally through Thomson and Reid.

20 years ago

STRATHMORE Rugby Club were still in with a fighting chance of playing in the national league for a fifth successive season

But at this stage of the season the Inchmacoble side were walking a precarious tightrope. With only one win all season – a 33-0 success over local rivals Carnoustie HSFP on the opening day of the campaign – Strathie were lying second from the bottom.

But some teams can still be caught – Panmure, Garnock, Stirling University and Carnoustie.

A THIGH injury kept Forfar sweeper Rab Morris out of the mid-week match against local rivals Montrose and he also looked likely to miss the next two home matches.

Forfar boss Tommy Cambell said he hoped to have his most experienced player back in action for the trip to Stranraer.

10 years ago

LOCHSIDE Boys went into a match against Rovers missing a few first team regulars.

Rovers started the match well and got two early goals but Lochside reshaped and began to pass the ball with more confidence, resulting in a couple of shots going wide of the Rovers goal.

Midway through the first half, Warburton got posession of the ball and threaded an inch-perfect pass to Doig, who drove into the box for Menmuir to prod home Lochside’s first goal.

WITH Forfar Girls eager to get back into action after the festive break, they jumped at the chance to pit their skills against the boys.

The Kirrie Boys were also keen to get some action, having only recently been formed.

The girls started the game strongly and took Kirrie by surprise, Hayley Wilson firing home the opener.

The match flowed from end to end thereafter, with both teams coming close.