Sporting yesteryear

40 years ago

FORFAR Athletic are hosts to St Mirren on Saturday and it looks as if the Loons may be without two of their players through injury. Bryn Williams, who injured his back in a clash at Clydebank on Saturday, has been receiving treatment but will not be able to tell what effect it is having until later on in the week.

Walter Bojczuk, who substituted for Bryn on Saturday, may also be doubtful. He has been having trouble with a strained ankle muscle and he may have to rest it for some time.

If either of the two have to drop out, manager Alan Kennedy will call in a trialist. He is still on the lookout for more players to boost his pool and is particularly short of defenders.

30 years ago

A BRILLIANT goalkeeping display by Roselea’s Hancox kept Kirrie at bay on Saturday but couldn’t prevent them from progressing to the next round of the Currie Cup.

Due to injuries, under manager Ally Nicol had to play for the full game and Ally Taylor was a substitute.

The game got off to a sensational start after Hancox had saved well from Kyles. Slackness in the home defence then allowed Smith to put Roselea ahead. Kirrie hit back immediately, Sidey scoring from a Rob cross.

And only a confident touch over by Hancox from a Rob cross prevented a third goal in the space of five minutes.

Eventually a second goal came Kirrie’s way. Kyles started the move on the far left passing the ball to Vanderdyle.

20 years ago

FORFAR Athletic reserves picked up two valuable league points with a 4-2 win over Montrose at Station Park last Wednesday.

The Sky Blues went in front with a John Sheridan strike in the second minute.

A John Perry penalty nine minutes later put Forfar two ahead. Montrose reduced the leeway to make the half-time score 2-1.

Forfar’s trialist striker dispossessed the ‘keeper to restore the home side’s two goal advantage.

In 49 minutes, Scott Glass made it 4-1 with a fine shot from 16 yards.

Craib grabbed a late consolation goal with five minutes remaining.

Last weekend, Forfar Loch was the venue for the final Enterprise Bluebell event, and Forfar Sailing Club’s closing regatta.

Both Enterprise and Handicap fleets were well supported over the two days, with a total of 28 boats competiting.