Strathie firsts switch and go down fighting

THE wet weather is continuing to plague the Strathmore Cricket Club 2011 season.

The heavy and persistent rain through last week rendered the lochside pitch unplayable - and that resulted in a last minute change of plan for Saturday.

The first team was down to host Meigle in the second-last league game of the season, but large pools of water towards the loch end of the ground meant no play at home.

Following a few early-morning phone-calls on Saturday, both teams agreed to play at Meigle.

Alas, any hopes of a victory on the road were dashed when A. Trevedi and P. Drummond dug in from the start and piled on the runs for the first wicket.

Peter Drummond departed the scene on 85 but Trevedi carried his bat to the end of the innings, when he was 66 not out in a total of 188 for four wickets.

In reply, Strathie lost early wickets, and, while Gary Hewitson dug in to score 53, no one stayed with him long enough to get anywhere near the Meigle score.

Shaun Wilkie (15), Andy Cooper (12) and Dougie Sayer (12) were best of the rest as the visitors were all out for 112.

Trevedi followed up a fine batting performance by taking four wickets for two.

On to Sunday, and, despite the glorious weather there was no hope of any action at the lochside.

With the duck-pond only slowly disappearing, the management agreed to put the Factory Cup six-a-side cricket competition on hold once again.

A new date was due to be discussed at a meeting on Tuesday evening (last night).

Meanwhile, the second team travelled to Forthill on a glorious afternoon, and lost out in quite a keen tussle.

Forthill amassed 199 for the loss of four wickets, with S. Cameron making 99 not out when he ran out of balls to claim a ton.

S. Carnegie gave him some support with 22, with Craig McDonald the best of the Strathie bowlers with figures of two for 39.

In reply, Strathie battled hard, with Gary Hewitson again best with 38.

Shaun Wilkie contributed 22 and there was 19 from Eddie Taylor and 18 from Norman Milton.

But the end total was 149 for seven at close of play - some fifty short of what was required.

This coming Saturday is the grand finale for the first team in terms of league action, with a home match against Mannofield.

Fingers are crossed for some much-needed warm and dry weather to get the pitch playable, and give the firsts some hope of ending a rain-drenched campaign on a wining note.

On the Sunday, the second team is due to host Almond Valley.