Gilbert was a committed Forfar club member

It is with great sadness that members of Forfar Sailing Club have learned of the death of Gilbert Robertson.

A founder member, Mr Robertson was the second commodore during 1961–1963 and served twice more from 1983 to 1987, which tells much about Gilbert’s commitment to the club

However, he was much more than a committee man, he was also a great Enterprise sailor (a trait he passed to his two sons who became internationally known).

A quiet, unassuming man his natural authority and knowledge made him a person people listened to and respected.

Members’ thoughts are with Gilbert’s family at this time.

Having spent the weekend in light winds at a Laser event Peter Tait was possibly happy to be race officer on Tuesday, June 28, as it looked like similar conditions awaited the racers.

The day had brought many a heavy shower but fortunately there were no torrents and they held off as six single-handed dinghies set off into a light easterly wind.

Tony Cook (Laser) and Jim Green (Solo) would have been favourites.

However, on the day a former member of long standing, lent his presence to the proceedings as Brian Finnie in his Europe returned to the fold.

Tony Walker had opted for a Solo on the day and the remaining Laser pair of Graeme and Craig Knox wondered just how much worse the light weather competition could become.

The three Lasers, however, had a battle from the start. Tony Cook always seems to have a little bit in reserve and he eventually eked out a fair lead over the whole fleet while the others just could not shake off Brian Finnie, who remained close by, as did Jim Green, a short distance beyond him.

In the end, after handicap, Tony Cook was clear winner, followed by Brian, Jim, Graeme, Tony Walker and Craig.

Thursday evening was in even less wind and with only four competitors.

In Pursuit format Jim Green was first away, followed by Brian Finnie, then Tony Walker and Graeme Knox.

The latter pair remained relatively close and had scraped past Brian in an almost flat calm.

In the end Jim was but a speck in the distance and was never caught, followed by Tony, who had a final puff of wind at the end to fend off Graeme, while Brian was most unlucky and stopped completely at a mark.

The first Sunday of June was in glorious sunshine and racing started at the earlier time of 11 am.

This early time has always been controversial as many argue prevailing conditions favour more wind in the afternoon.

The voters for later starts would have been vindicated as at 11 am there was but a very light and variable breeze emanating from around the south west

Jim Green was race officer for the first race and presided over an eight strong very mixed fleet. Race officers occasionally have to make a difficult decision to send faster boats around for a further lap of the course and stop slower contemporaries, to allow the race to finish in a reasonable time and Jim made this choice which possibly affected the outcome in a dying wind.

Throughout the race Angus Beyts in his Harrier Plus remained near the front with the Laser pack until a last minute lift gave him line honours and first place by a few seconds to Graeme Knox (Laser).

David Smith (Firefly) took third while Craig Knox (Laser) slipped over the line ahead of Peter Tait (Laser), who had blown his chances after twice heading for the wrong mark.

Virtually new to Laser sailing, Murray Hadden was a promising sixth.

The brave Lauder family, who love sailing, had again travelled from deepest darkest Morayshire to sail their Enterprise for seventh and Duncan was in a Topper for eighth.

The second race was in similar conditions, although Peter Tait, now thoroughly fed up with drifting, took over race duties from Jim Green.

The only differences were that Graeme had a good start and was lucky enough to find enough wind to build a good lead for first.

Jim, Angus and Craig were not so lucky and finished sequentially after a déjà vu session as, like last year, they discussed Wimbledon for most of their journey as a pack around the course.

Dave Smith held on for fifth while Robert, with a larger than normal crew complement, was pleased to have made stayed it out for sixth.