West End continue unbeaten run

LAST Saturday saw Forfar West End welcome Dundee East Craigie JFC - the only other team in the McBookie North Division to have an unbeaten run.

Both teams coming out the blocks at a frantic pace but first chance of the match fell to Tinley whose shot was just off target after some neat play.

The visitors set up a very tight unit hoping to frustrate the home side and it was working as there were very limited chances for the home side. Logie in the Craigie goal looked to be on top form when he dealt with some efforts from Irons and Scott.

Small seemed to be the only main threat for the visitors down the left but Kelly had him well tamed and was putting in a solid display. Just before the break West End nearly took the lead when Cox turned sharp and struck the post much to the relief of the visiting team. The referee then brought proceedings to a close with nothing to separate the sides.

The second half was underway with both sides desperate to make the breakthrough, and it was West End doing most of the pressing.

West End were given a golden chance in the 65th minute when Scott raced clear but Logie stood up well and blocked the effort.

East Craigie then could have taken the lead in the 70th minute when there captain McFarlane was free in the box after a corner was cleared the ball was lofted back over and he escaped the offside trap but his header was wide much to the relief of the home side.

West End then introduced Ramsay and McKenzie for Irons and Tinley. The game was beginning to get scrappy with some late challenges going in, and a stop start theme begging to creep into the game.

Then in the 80th minute West End must of thought the breakthrough was going to happen as Scott raced clear again but once again Logie was alert and kept the home side at bay.

It looked like it was going to be one of those days for the home side.

The game was getting heated towards the closing stages when Cairney was caught with an elbow and Craigie right-back Snowden was given his marching orders for a foul on R. Black.

Then as the clock ticked over the 90 minute mark the breakthrough at last when R. Black sent in a ball into the box the visiting defence failed to clear and up stepped McKenzie who drilled a low shot into the corner of the net setting the home fans into celebration, Cairney was given his marching orders amongst the celebrations.

The whistle went and all three points to the Strathmore men who maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign.