Uni are latest to fall prey to fearsome Farmington

Photo - David Young.
Photo - David Young.

Forfar Farmington head coach Damon Neish was delighted with how his side played as they extended their league winning run to six games against Stirling University.

Amy Gallacher’s eighth of the season after just 108 seconds was enough to deservedly keep all three points at Station Park against the only side above them in the bottom half of the table.

Neish was delighted to take maximum points from the clash with the in-form side.

“It was a very good win, obviously Stirling are sitting at the top of the bottom six so they’re the team that everyone wants to knock off,” he said.

“Their form has been exceptional, they’ve been battering teams and doing really well so it’s great for us to come away with such a good win.”

He was pleased with how the side coped after suffering a blow in the first half, with left back Megan Burns forced off due to injury.

He said: “We’ve got a very versatile squad just now and part of that’s by design; Jade McLaren’s played in every position across the back four, Nicola Davidson’s played in centre midfield and centre half, Gemma Collier’s come in, Sophie Milligan’s played right back, centre back.

“Megan’s been a stalwart this year, she’s made that left back position her own to lose; she’s went down injured but the girls stepped up and performed well. It’s great and they have a fantastic goalkeeper in Fiona McNicoll at the back so they know that if someone has a shot from long range or if they’re pushing up and someone gets through they’ve got that safety net behind them which is great for confidence.”

Despite having captain Nicola Davidson back, Farmington fielded the same side for the third week running, so Davidson had to be content with a place on the bench.

The side were off and running after just 108 seconds: a fantastic piece of play beginning in their own half, saw Derrian Gollan, Jade McLaren, Tori Sousa and Amy Gallacher all exchange passes before McLaren cut the ball back for Gallacher to sweep home.

Gallacher could have added a second just a minute later after being set up by Sousa but she sent her effort wide.

In the 23rd minute another passing move saw Burns swing a cross in that found Gallacher then Johnstone, who laid it off for Lindsey Dunbar but her shot flew wide.

Johnstone then nodded straight at Chloe Logan.

The side were dealt a blow in the 38th minute, Burns went over her ankle and had to be replaced with Davidson coming on in a reshuffle of the defence.

Forfar came out for the second half looking the better side again and had two chances in the first 10 minutes, Gallacher firing wide after being set up by McLaren before the defender herself was denied by a great last ditch challenge by Rachel Donaldson.

In the 58th minute Gallacher was again denied by Logan while Dunbar nodded wide from the resulting Napier corner.

On the hour mark Sousa had a fantastic chance to net her third of the season as she advanced into the box but the Stirling keeper again denied the home side.

In the 67th minute Donaldson saw her goalbound effort touched over the bar by an alert McNicoll and from the resulting corner Sutherland had her shot cleared by Dunbar.

Dunbar then headed wide at the back post from a Sophie Milligan cross before McLaren did the same with a Davidson free kick with fifteen minutes left.

Stirling tried desperately to break through a tough Forfar defence but the side, who have conceded just two goals in their last six league games, refused to give in and held on for all three points.