Thistle come down to Earth with a bump

After a recent spell of good results Kirrie Thistle were brought back to Earth with a bump by Fauldhouse, writes Glen Barclay.

Missing a few starters Thistle made the worst possible start going 2-0 down within five minutes.

The first from a good cross by Wilkins, with Chilton rising well to header over Stewart helped by the wind. Then straight from kick off a one-two involving Donelly and Fallon with the former slotting past Stewart after being set through on goal. Traditional number nine Chilton again threatened soon after but a confident block by Stewart denied him his second.

But Kirrie were almost let back into the game when a mistake by Shanks set James Russell running in on goal but Murphy did well to deny him with a powerful parry.

As the half progressed Fauldhouse continued to play some silky football and on the half-hour mark K. Martin’s cross found Donelly who must have thought he had found the third, only for his header to be brilliantly stopped by Stewart.

The second half saw no change in fortune for the far travelled visitors with James Russell’s lengthy free kick finding the side netting. S. Martin and Chilton were proving much of a threat for Thistle’s usually reliable defence and when Chilton’s initial effort was palmed away, K. Martin was there to grab the third, smashing in the rebound. The hosts again scored shortly from kick off, Donelly grabbing his second, firing in K. Martin’s goal bound effort on the line.

Fully in control of the game United made it five, Chilton cutting back to the on-rushing K. Martin to prod home, and the sixth followed soon after, a whipped corner falling to an unmarked Chilton who calmly slotted home for his brace.

Kirrie almost grabbed a consolation but Sheed’s curling effort from the edge of the box narrowly beat the post. After the game, goalkeeper Stewart said: “The team capitulated in the second half” but despite this he believes they can bounce back with three points against Oakley United next week.

The defeat ended the team’s five-game winning streak, a period involving a 4-1 friendly win against Lochee Harp in which Craig Logan scored with an incredible strike. Thistle will look to respond by winning next time out.