Superb display sees Loons take down the Warriors

Gavin Swankie takes aim four minutes in to take the first goal of the game.
Gavin Swankie takes aim four minutes in to take the first goal of the game.

Forfar Athletic kept the new year momentum going with a superb first half performance to see them defeat Stenhousemuir 3-0 on Saturday.

The win also saw them leapfrog the Ochilview side into fifth in the SPFL League One table.

Loons boss Dick Campbell made two changes to his starting line up with Odmar Faeroe and Gavin Swankie both returning to the side after injury.

The home side looked strong from the outset with good work from Omar Kader down the wing seeing him shoot only for the ball to be parried by visiting ‘keeper Chris Smith.

But just moments later Gavin Swankie took the Loons into the lead when he steered the ball past Smith to make it

Three minutes later a Stenhousemuir throw in fell to the feet of John Gemmellwho was ruled offside.

Just after the 10 minute mark a Forfar free kick was cleared by Ross McMillan.

There were few chances for either side for the next 10 minutes but 21 minutes in Omar Kader had his shot cleared
by Stewart Greacen.

Six minutes later McMillan fouled Kader in the box and was shown red for his troubles. With the visitors down to 10 men Martyn Fotheringham stepped up to take the penalty and slotted neatly past

With just over 10 minutes left to go of the first half a mostly quiet Chris Templeman sent the ball straight into Smith’s arms.

A minute later Douglas was called into action for Forfar but Sean Higgins’ long-range shot did little to trouble the veteran ‘keeper.

More good work from Kader saw him cross to Hilson who was unlucky to see his shot go wide.

But with six minutes left to go Fotheringham netted a brace when he curled the ball into the top right corner of the net.

Another Stenhousemuir attempt just before the break failed to see them reduce the deficit.

Forfar Athletic 3, Stenhousemuir 0

Stenhousemuir boss Martyn Corrigan made a change at half time with Darren Smith coming on to replace

In the first few minutes of the half the visitors looked like they might cause trouble for the Loons but the home defence did well.

In the 58th minute Fotheringham could have had his hat-trick but his shot just went wide.

Gavin Swankie was also unlucky to see further attempts go wide in the second half with one effort in the 75th minute hitting the post, a minute later he sent the ball straight into Smith’s arms.

With 11 minutes left to go a Hilson attempt whistled straight past the post.

There were few further chances for either side as the game drew towards a close though one last gasp effort by Kevin McKinlay for the visitors went

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Gary Fusco, Iain Campbell, Darren Dods, Stuart Malcolm, Odmar Faeroe, Omar Kader (James Dale 70), Martyn Fotheringham (Gavin Malin 70), Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie (Paul McLellan 80), Dale Hilson. Subs not used: Martin Andrews, Neil McCabe, Kerr Hay, Darren Hill.

Stenhousemuir: Chris Smith, Nicholas Devlin, Eddie Malone, Stewart Greacen, Ross McMillan, Kevin McKinlay, Sean Dickson, David Rowson, John Gemmill (Erroll Douglas 83), Sean Higgins (Darren Smith 45), Sean Lynch. Subs: Bryan Hodge, Ross McNeil, Kris Faulds, Brown Ferguson,
Dean Shaw.