REPORT: Watt a result - loanee Liam leads Brechin City as they thrash rivals Forfar Athletic

Brechin boss Darren Dods. Photo - Derek Watt Photography.
Brechin boss Darren Dods. Photo - Derek Watt Photography.

A magnificent performance from Brechin City kept their faint hopes of League One survival alive as they hammered rivals Forfar Athletic 4-0 on Tuesday night.

Liam Watt hit a double with further goals coming from player-manager Darren Dods and Robert Thompson as City put in their best display of the season.

The Loons are now just four points ahead of their 10th-placed rivals - though they do have a game in hand - following their abject performance at Glebe Park, which saw them finish with 10 men following Gareth Rodger’s injury time red card.

The hosts made three changes to their team with Dods, Craig Molloy and Andy Jackson replacing Lewis Culjak, Gary Fusco and Lewis Spence.

Gary Bollan meanwhile made two switches as Michael Kennedy and Kerr Hay made way for Martyn Fotheringham and Danny Denholm.

James Dale, formerly of Forfar, had a shot blaze over the bar inside 60 seconds before Andy Ryan went close a few minutes later - cutting inside after receiving Fotheringham’s lofted ball but the young striker’s effort was well saved.

Dale then had another effort from range, this one much closer to Darren Hill’s crossbar but still not hitting the target.

Ryan forced a superb save from Smith with a glancing header from Fotheringham’s corner before Denholm pulled a shot wide from inside the box.

Dods was given a yellow card on 20 minutes, barging Fotheringham to the ground as the midfielder looked to fly past him and onto a through ball - the player-manager was perhaps lucky to escape a straight red.

The hosts were in front on 25 minutes when Thomson beat Derek Young on the right flank, before cutting the ball inside the Watt who got the ball past Hill despite scuffing his shot.

And it was the gaffer who extended the lead on the half hour, sending a looping header beyond Hill from Watt’s free kick on the right.

Euan Spark fired over after a good move from Scott Martin before the Dundee United loanee was involved at the other end, gifting the ball to Watt with a miserable touch before the young Airdrieonians man curled a screamer past Hill from 20 yard for 3-0.

Forfar probed and pulled in the second half but couldn’t make any in-roads and City eventually went even further ahead, Thompson heading the ball into the ground and over Hill from three yards out after Dyer’s cross.

It should have been five when Hill made a great stop to deny Scott Shepherd before Rodger received his marching orders in injury time, picking up a second yellow card for a poor foul on Shepherd.