REPORT: Loons lose out to 10-man Peterhead

editorial image

Gary Bollan’s miserable start to his reign as Forfar Athletic manager continues after his side failed to hold a lead against 10 man Peterhead on Saturday.

Despite coming from behind through goals from debutant Steven Craig and Andy Ryan, Forfar moved closer to the bottom of the league after Peterhead’s on-fire trio of Rory McAllister, Shane Sutherland and Leighton McIntosh ensured all three points stayed at Balmoor after having captain Steven Noble sent off for a stamp on Ryan.

Photo by Chris Coutts

Photo by Chris Coutts

The Blue Toon took the lead within three minutes; Nicky Riley’s deflected shot was parried into the path of McAllister who gleefully knocked the ball into an empty net.

Simon Ferry went close to adding a second minutes later but his low effort flew wide.

Great work from Ryan saw him power his way down the left wing in the 14th minute, reaching the byline before cutting the ball back and after Gavin Swankie cleverly dummied it, Craig netted his first goal in Forfar colours.

Swankie almost scored a wonder goal 60 seconds after the equaliser when he connected with a volley that looked like it was looping into the far top corner, but Smith managed to claw it away to deny the captain.

Forfar completed their comeback from behind after 18 minutes when Swankie’s low free kick was fumbled by Smith and Ryan was more than happy to collect the loose ball and slot home.

Craig then headed wide from a Ryan cross as the duo looked to be combining well up front.

Riley blasted over from close range for the home side while Michael Dunlop headed over from a Swankie corner at the other end.

Peterhead were dealt a big blow just before the half hour mark when Ryan went in for a challenge with Noble and the Blue Toon captain was adjudged to have stamped on the striker, earning a red card for his troubles.

Craig threatened with a free kick five minutes before half time but it was Peterhead who had the final say in the half when Shane Sutherland fired home through a ruck of players.

The Loons went close to a third in the first minute of the second half when Thomas O’Brien’s header from a Swankie corner was held but this was to be the closest Forfar came to adding to their two goals.

Jamie Redman and then McAllister had efforts held but it was McIntosh who netted the vital goal that sealed all three points in the 75th minute.

A long ball found Sutherland and after he cut in, his effort was parried by Hill and McIntosh was there to bury the ball home.

The game died down after the winning goal with Rodger heading wide for the Loons.