Loons unlucky with 1-0 defeat

It should have been at least a draw for Forfar Athletic against Rangers on Sunday after outperforming the Ibrox side for most of the game.

Loons boss Dick Campbell made no changes to the side that defeated East Fife 3-1 but youngster Connor Gray was added to the bench.

Gavin Swankie.

Gavin Swankie.

With both teams recording good results the previous weekend, Rangers defeating Arbroath 5-1 at Ibrox, they were each looking to keep the run going.

And it was Forfar that started the strongest having the first chance just five minutes in. A great cross from Gavin Swankie was just sent wide by Omar Kader.

Then on 12 minutes Iain Campbell sent a free kick straight to visiting ‘keeper Cammy Bell.

Rangers’ first chance on goal came in the 23rd minute when a Lee McCulloch corner was cleared.

Swankie created a good chance again with five minutes left to go of the first half but still the back of the net proved elusive for the home side.

Then when the deadlock was broken two minutes later it came from Rangers.

A mistake from Forfar defender Darren Dods saw him send the ball straight to David Templeton who passed to Andy Little who then managed to beat Marvin Andrews to get the ball in the net past Darren Hill.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 0, Rangers 1.

But the Loons came back for the second half full of fight and it was within the first minute back on the pitch that Dale Hilson just cleared the bar by inches.

Five minutes later Chris Templeman had his header blocked by the Rangers ‘keeper then Hilson again beat the ‘keeper only to see the ball go wide.

Forfar ‘keeper Hill was called into action by Little once again just before the hour mark but he did well to deny the Northern Irishman another goal.

An Iain Campbell free kick also looked dangerous for the Ibrox side but it was caught well by Bell.

In the 65th minute Nicky Law came close for the visitors but he sent the ball over the bar.

Lee Wallace also failed to double Rangers’ lead but his effort went wide with 23 minutes to go.

Forfar’s next chance to equalise came 74 minutes in when a corner shot by Iain Campbell met Dods only for his strike to be deflected by Wallace.

A minute later Iain Campbell tried his luck again but the ball went straight past the post.

With a minute to go, substitute Gavin Malin volleyed the ball over the bar as Forfar desperately tried to push for the goal that they deserved.

But the goal never came as the score-line still read 1-0 at full-time and Rangers left with the full three points.

Forfar: Hill, McCabe, Andrews, Dods, Baxter, Kader (Ross Campbell 60), Dale (McManus 80), Hilson, Iain Campbell, Swankie, Templeman (Malin 65). Subs Not Used: Douglas, Malcolm, Fusco, Gray.

Rangers: Bell, Foster, McCulloch, Mohsni, Wallace, Little, Peralta, Law, Steven Smith (Faure 81), Templeton (McKay 83), Daly. Subs Not Used: Simonsen, Clark, Crawford, Emilson Cribari, Shiels.

Speaking after the game assistant boss Ian Campbell said: “In the first half we were disappointed that we lost a goal.

“In the second half we created more chances but we were a wee bit disappointed in the quality of our finishes.

“But overall, we are disappointed we didn’t get something out of the game to be honest.

“The players worked hard so hopefully we can take that on and start climbing up the league.”