Loons struggling to record a victory

FORFAR STRIKE: The Loons going two-one ahead through Chris Templeman (not pictured) at Albion Rovers on Saturday.'Picture by Chris Coutts, Forfar.
FORFAR STRIKE: The Loons going two-one ahead through Chris Templeman (not pictured) at Albion Rovers on Saturday.'Picture by Chris Coutts, Forfar.

FORFAR Athletic remain very much in the dog-fight to avoid relegation to the Scottish third division - following a week in which they picked up one point from six.

Following a four-one thumping at Arbroath in midweek, the Loons had the chance to record a victory at Albion Rovers on Saturday.

Twice they took the lead and twice they were pulled back - the game ending in a two-each draw.

At the time of going to press on Tuesday (yesterday), Forfar were preparing to take on East Fife at Station Park that same evening.

There is another home game this coming Saturday, when Stenhousemuir are in town, while Forfar travel to take on Stirling Albion in their final rescheduled midweek game on Tuesday evening of next week.

Hopefully, by then, Dick Campbell’s men will have picked up a few precious points in the bid to stay in the Scottish second division next season.

They will certainly have to play a bit better than they did against Arbroath last midweek.

Despite taking an early lead through Bradley Coyne, they were undone by the Lichties pace, Steven Dorris hitting a hat-trick for the hosts who ran out comfortable four-one victors.

The visitors took the lead in the 13th minute when Bradley Coyne volleyed home, but the Lichties took control thereafter, and were three-one in front by the interval.

Collin Samuel levelled the scores in 20 minutes and Steven Doris scored a brace in quick succession just prior to the break.

The same player completed his hat-trick 20 minutes from time, fastening on to a Gavin Swankie pass to slot home.

It was the second time in 11 days that the Loons had shipped four goals to the strong-going Lichties, so it was important to get back on the rails at Cliftonhill on the Saturday.

And, they didn’t waste any time in grabbing the lead, Dale Hilson smashing home in spectacular style from 20 yards in only two minutes after getting on the end of a Chris Templeman knock-down.

Alas, three minutes later, Rovers were back on level terms, John Gemmell nipping in front of the Forfar goalkeeper to convert a free-kick by Jordan Halsman.

Forfar were back in front in the 22nd minute, Chris Templeman getting on the end of a Greg Ross cross to hook home from six yards.

But they could not add to the tally, with Rovers gaining the initiative in the second period and deservedly levelling through a fine Robert Love strike 12 minutes from the end.

Dick Campbell said it was a game of two halves.

“We were good in the first when we created lots of chances and scored two terrific goals, but we never turned out for the second 45 minutes.

“Albion Rovers deserved a point as they were on top in the second period.”

Forfar had a number of injury problems ahead of the Tuesday evening game with East Fife, while Michael Bolochoweskyz’s yellow card at Cliftonhill means that he will sit out the home match against Brechin City a week on Saturday.

Albion Rovers- Fahey, Reid, Ciaran Donnelly, Lumsden (McStay), Russell, Stevenson, Marriott, Chaplain, Halsman, Gemmell and McKay (Love).

Forfar Athletic - McCallum, Ross, Bolocheweckyj, McCulloch, Iain Campbell, Hilson, Mowat, Hegarty (Fotheringham), Motion (Byers), Templeman and Coyne (Bryce).