Loons ease through to next round of cup

Forfar Athletic took themselves through to the fourth round of the Scottish Cup with a convincing 2-1 win over East Fife on Saturday.

Loons boss Dick Campbell made one change to his starting 11 that drew 1-1 with Stenhousemuir the previous weekend with veteran ‘keeper Rab Douglas replacing an injured Darren Hill.

Chris Templeman fires the winning goal past East Fife 'keeper Michael Andrews.

Chris Templeman fires the winning goal past East Fife 'keeper Michael Andrews.

It was the visitors who had the first clear-cut chance of the game four minutes in when Ross Brown just fired past the post from the box.

Three minutes later Gavin Swankie had the first chance for the Loons but sent the Dale Hilson cross over the bar.

Drama came 15 minutes in when Marvin Andrews challenged for a header with Brown. Brown fell heavily and was stretchered off while Andrews receieved a booking. Five minutes later the visitors came close to taking the lead again when Stephen Hughes fired the ball just over the top of the bar.

Moments after that Templeman met a Swankie cross but just headed wide.

With five minutes left to go of the first half Andrews headed straight to the East Fife ‘keeper.

But the opening goal came for the home side in the closing moments of the first half. Marvin Andrews met a Darren Dods free kick and headed straight to ‘keeper Michael Andrews who parried the ball straight to Hilson who slotted the ball easily into the net to make it 1-0.

Half-Time: Forfar Athletic 1, East Fife 0

After the break the visitors came out looking determined to equalise. In the first five minutes of the half chances came for both Ryan Stewart and Liam Buchanan.

In the 52nd minute an Iain Campbell free kick was cleared well by East Fife.

With just under half an hour to go Craig Johnstone curled the ball just around the post. A minute later Douglas was pushed into making an outstanding save after a Steven Campbell effort.

In the 69th minute Templeman increased the deficit to two when he volleyed the ball in from eight yards.

Swankie came close again a couple of minutes later but hit the side netting.

Moments later the visitors managed to pull back a goal when Craig Johnstone sent the ball past Douglas from close range with an assist from Hughes.

Further chances came for the home side as the half wore on with Michael Andrews pushed into an impressive save to block a Gary Fusco effort.

Buchanan had the last chance of the game but fired the ball over the bar as he failed to make it an equaliser.

Forfar: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter, Iain Campbell, Marvin Andrews, Darren Dods, Gary Fusco, Jamie McCluskey, Gavin Malin, Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie, Dale Hilson. Subs: Ross Campbell, Paul McManus, James Dale, Martyn Fotheringham, Stuart Malcolm, Omar Kader, Ross Salmon.

East Fife: Michael Andrews, Scott Durie, Scott McBride, Gary Thom, Joe Mbu, Stevie Campbell, Ryan Stewart, Ross Brown, Liam Buchanan, Stephen Hughes, Craig Johnstone. Subs: Alexis Dutot, Johnny Stewart, Pat Clark, Cyrus Moosavi, Nathan Austin, Ross Lennie, Gregg Paterson.