Last-gasp Swankie goal sees Loons grab first away win of the season

Pic credit Robert Dalzell.
Pic credit Robert Dalzell.

Match-winner Gavin Swankie hopes Forfar Athletic’s 2-1 win at Airdrieonians can kickstart the side’s away form.

Swankie nodded in a 91st minute winner to give the Loons their first win on the road this season - and maintain their place atop Scottish League One.

It’s the skipper’s fifth goal of the season in all competitions and Gavin admitted it was nice to see the team win a game late on for a change.

He said: “We needed to get the away form going again, we’re good at home but the away form hasn’t been the best so hopefully this will kickstart it.

“It’s not often we win a game in the 90th minute, it’s either we’re trying to hang on to a lead or we’re a couple of goals up. But it’s not often we win a game in the last minute so it’s always good.”

Dick Campbell was forced into one change from last week’s 3-1 derby victory over Brechin City, James Dale coming in for the injured Derek Young.

Paddy Boyle dragged his shot wide in the only chance of the first 15 minutes, with the game slow to get going.

Stuart Malcolm knocked the ball wide from Stephen Husband’s corner before the home side took the lead two minutes later.

Scott Gray’s effort hit the crossbar and the midfielder did well to regain the ball before putting a cross to the back post for Jim Lister to nod home.

Swankie had a shot deflected wide a minute before Husband hit a 30-yard strike that the keeper held well.

The Loons captain thought he had scored in the 34th minute, as had everyone else in the ground, when his long range strike hit the crossbar and looked like it had crossed the line but neither the referee or linesman seemed to be in a position to make a decision on whether it had.

Dale Hilson was bundled over as he readied himself to head the rebound but no penalty was given.

After half time it was clear Campbell had given the team a talking to, with the Loons looking the better side.

A great counter attack ended in Danny Denholm setting up Hilson who turned his marker inside out but he could only fire over the bar.

Denholm then blasted over himself from Swankie’s cutback before Forfar equalised in the 67th minute, Jim Paterson beating the right back and swinging a cross in for the unmarked Hilson to nod home for his fifth of the campaign.

Hilson could have had a second a minute later but his shot from 20 yards was well held.

Martyn Fotheringham almost scored a fantastic goal less than a minute after coming on, his half volley from 30 yards swerving as it got closer to goal and McNeil had to be sharp to tip the ball wide.

Rab Douglas then made a brilliant save with three minutes left, Keigan Parker raced down the left and placed the ball to an unmarked Scott Gray who advanced on goal but his shot was blocked by Douglas who raced out his goal to deny them a winner.

Swankie forced McNeil into a good save again before he nodded home the winner in the 90th minute from Kader’s cross.

Airdrieonians: McNeil, O’Neil, Boyle, Proctor (Richford 90), Gasparotto, Richards-Everton, Gray, Fitzpatrick, Lister, Prunty (Parker 77), Watt. Subs not used: Bain, Blockley, Stewart, Ferguson, Cadden.

Forfar Athletic: Douglas, Baxter, Paterson, Malcolm, Dods, Husband (Malin 77), Kader, Dale (Fotheringham 84), Hilson, Swankie, Denholm (Templeman 82). Subs not used: Dunlop, Keiller, McLellan, Salmon .