Junior and amateur football round-up

Pic credit Christopher Coutts
Pic credit Christopher Coutts

It was a miserable day all round for the local junior and amateur clubs with three defeats and a single draw on the board.

Forfar West End were narrowly defeated 1-0 at home to Edinburgh United, losing out to a 17th minute Millar goal.

The loss leaves West End in 12th place in the East Region Premier Division on six points. Relegated outfit St Andrews United remain the early pace-setters as they sit in first on 13 points, ahead of Dundonald Bluebell on ten and Arniston Rangers on nine. Fellow newly promoted side Dundee North End are in fourth on nine points.

Kirrie Thistle missed out on the chance to go top of the East Region North Division as they could only draw 2-2 away to East Craigie.

New signing McBride was brought in alongside trialist Robb for the journey to Scotland’s oldest junior ground and it was a frantic start to the game, East Craigie getting Martin sent off after just 10 minutes in an apt bit of foreshadowing - 11 more bookings were to follow.

Thistle fell behind unexpectedly when Bowie lost his marker 20 yards out before firing low past the diving Knox.

And the hosts almost doubled their shock lead through McDonald but the frontman could only volley over the bar.

The visitors bounced back however and got the equaliser just before the break, youngster Hill beating his man then firing a cross-come-shot at goal allowing captain George to hurl himself at the ball to head home.

Moments later Kirrie were ahead when Steven Barclay’s header looped over the helpless keeper.

But Thistle were made to pay for some sloppy defending midway through the second half when defender Ferrie fired home.

East Craigie saw a second man sent off before Hill saw a glorious chance to grab the three points go begging.

It was a bad day for Forfar Albion who remain adrift at the bottom of the North Division following their 8-1 loss at home to Thornton Hibs, Sean Ferrar scoring their only goal of the game from penalty spot right on the stroke of half time.

In the amateurs, Lowson United got their Premier League campaign under way with a narrow 3-2 defeat to much-fancied side St James.

Lowson got off to a slow start and were punished when a loose ball was converted by a St James striker on 20 minutes.

It was level when Grant Farquharson converted a penalty kick before the same player headed United in front.

But it was 2-2 at half time before a controversial St James goal gave them the three points.