It’s a goal-fest!

editorial image

IT WAS a four goal thriller for Forfar on Saturday as the Loons defeated Stranraer in their first home game of the season.

Goals came from new boys Gavin Swankie and Danny Denholm, including an own goal by Stranraer’s Mark Staunton, with Martyn Fotheringham finishing off with a blinding shot to secure the win.

The first goal came after just eight minutes when Gavin Swankie tucked away Mark McCulloch’s pass from close range.

With the score sitting at 1-0 at half-time it was not long before the Loons grabbed their second. Denholm poked the ball into the net from two yards just after Swankie missed a cross from McCulloch at the face of the goal.

With their advantage doubled, Stranraer did the home side a favour when defender Mark Staunton headed the ball into his own net.

The Loons secured the victory in the 67th minute when Fotheringham latched onto the ball after a pass from Swankie and sent a thundering strike straight into the top corner of the net.

Forfar boss Dick Campbell was thrilled with the result. He said: “I am very happy with that and can’t have any complaints at all.

“You could say we had a break at the third goal but we were two up already.

“To score four goals and have none against is very pleasing. Stranraer did well. They did not lose their spirit but we ran out easy winners in the end and it could have been more.”

The result will come as a boost after the Loons were sent out of the Ramsdens Cup by Arbroath earlier in the week.

Losing by two goals to the Gayfield side’s three, Forfar found that the second round was the end of the line for them.

Arbroath took the lead after just 20 minutes when Paul Currie slotted the ball past Loons ‘keeper Derek Soutar from the edge of the box.

However, ex-Arbroath striker Gavin Swankie took the equaliser with a cool finish from 12 yards.

This was not going to be enough to get the Forfar side a win, however, as Arbroath new boy Darren Gribben took two before the break to make it 3-1.

Keith Gibson made it 3-2 for Forfar with his 20-yard slam into the net but despite pushing, further goals did not come for the visitors.

Manager Campbell said: “It’s a galling result because I think a lot of this competition.

“I’ve taken Brechin to the final before and I want to do the same with Forfar. That’s not going to happen this season now.

“But I don’t want to take anything away from Arbroath. They did very well and took their chances.”

Meanwhile, Forfar Athletic’s under-19 side began their league campaign on Sunday past with a near 400-mile round trip to Stranraer, returning with a point from a 2-2 draw.

Their first home competitive fixture of the season sees Cowdenbeath visit Station Park on Monday night of next week, the kick off 7.45 p.m.