Huge win for Kirrie in relegation battle

editorial image

Kirrie Thistle picked up three massive points in the fight 
to avoid the drop at the 
weekend, beating fellow relegation rivals Livingston United 2-1 and ending their barren run of 11 games without a victory.

Thistle went into the game with an almost fully fit squad with Kris Morrice the only absentee but it was the visitors who almost took an early lead.

Jaconelli rose highest to nod a cross from the left towards goal but the reliable Stewart gathered comfortably.

A cross by Craig Logan brought about Kirrie’s first chance, Gary Archibald meeting the ball with a solid downwards header that was palmed away by the Livi goalkeeper.

Another good cross by Logan caused more confusion in the opposition box but yet again the hosts were denied by Dolan tipping Stewart Russell’s header over.

However the deadlock was broken minutes later 
by Russell, firing home 
from inside the box after a 
Logan free kick had been spilled by the keeper 
under pressure from Steven Archibald.

Livingston then had 
a massive chance to level 
on 38 minutes but giant centre back Forbes could only 
divert Drummond’s free 
kick over the bar from 
six yards.

They should have gone in level at the break but they failed to capitalise again when Key hesitated after rounding keeper Stewart, allowing the big man to recover and scramble to clear.

The second half began as the first had finished, with Livingston on top and after being played through on goal Jaconelli comfortably skipped past the onrushing Stewart and fired into the unguarded net for their deserved leveller.

But Kirrie responded well knowing nothing but a win would do and they retook the lead midway through the half.

Robert Smith’s lofted free kick found trialist S Archibald who fired a scrumptious volley into the top right corner from all of 12 yards.

Livingston were also fighting for the points and they rallied, pressing for an equaliser and after the ball broke kindly for Burns it looked like they’d equalise again, but a confident block by Stewart denied his long range volley.

Stewart was busy again seconds later when after a goalmouth scramble he 
incredibly tipped a close range Murphy effort past the post.

Kirrie had one more chance to seal the win but Archibald could only divert Logan’s inviting cross high and wide.

Thistle next face Kinnoull away on Saturday at Tulloch Park, kick off is 2.30pm.