Home or away?

editorial image

AT the risk of tempting fate, Forfar Athletic could come out from the cold this coming Saturday - following almost two-months without a competitive game.

The Loons are due to host East Fife this coming Saturday, but the forecast thaw would really need to kick in to give the game any chance of going ahead.

Club secretary David McGregor conceded that the expected rise in temperatures may not be enough to render Station Park playable on Saturday, with a deep frost having bedded in underneath a covering of snow.

However, from a financial perspective, the club is prepared to give the game every chance of going ahead.

But, if the situation appears hopeless on Thursday (tomorrow) then there is a contingency plan in place - to reverse fixtures.

That could mean Forfar heading across the Tay on Saturday, and then entertaining the Fifers on Saturday, March 12.

“From a financial point of view we would very much hope that Saturday’s game can go ahead at Station Park, but, if there is no chance of the pitch being playable we have the alternative of going to East Fife on Saturday, and that would help in terms of easing fixture congestion,” Mr McGregor commented on Monday.

Having not had a home game since early November and with no competitive action since the cup match at the New Bayview on Saturday, November 20, everyone at Forfar is keeping their fingers crossed that the worst of the winter weather is behind us.

While that may be too much to ask, at least a break in conditions would allow the club to get some action and some money through the gates! And, while games are on the back-burner, so too is any transfer activity.

It is understood the manager is keen to bring in at least one new face before the month is over, but the financial situation at present means that he will have to off-load before he can recruit, and, with many other clubs operating under constraints, that will be no easy task.