Forfar march on to final following good outing to Stranraer

Derek Young reckons the side have what it takes to go on and defeat Alloa after Forfar Athletic advanced to the Championship Play-off Final.

A Gavin Swankie penalty in the second half countered Chris Aitken’s spot kick before half time and the Loons could have scored more had it not been for keeper David Mitchell, writes Lee Smith.

Young said: “I thought we did really well. In the first half we stifled them, I don’t think Rab had a save to make, and we had a couple of chances ourselves that we could have buried.

“Trav’s dived in at the penalty, he knows that himself, you can see his reaction and they’ve scored so that put a bit of pressure on but I think the way we came out for the second half and the way we played, we deserved to go through. It was good that we got the penalty, Gav’s stuck it away brilliantly, I think after that we were comfortable.

“I think we can beat Alloa over the two legs. The way we played on Wednesday and in patches in the second half attacking-wise, I think we’re a bit of a team when we pass the ball about and open teams up.

“We’ve got a solid enough defence so we’ve got a good enough team to beat anyone and I feel we can cause a wee upset.”

The Loons made two changes from the mid-week 3-0 win: with Stuart Malcolm suspended and Danny Denholm dropping to the bench, James Dale and Michael Dunlop came in, the latter returning from suspension himself.

Willie Gibson fired a free kick over three minutes in.

Martyn Fotheringham then went close for the visitors twice in the first quarter of an hour, both times sending a shot into Mitchell’s arms.

After 26 minutes Darren Dods went the closest any side had so far, taking down Fotheringham’s corner before turning and firing a half volley towards the top corner, Mitchell doing brilliantly to tip the effort over.

Mitchell blocked another shot, this time a Swankie effort, before Stranraer went ahead in the 40th minute.

Willie Gibson was brought down by Michael Travis and Aitken stepped up to send Rab Douglas the wrong way, bringing the aggregate score to 3-1 in Forfar’s favour.

Two minutes after the Loons almost equalised, as the ever-influential Swankie saw a 25 yard effort tipped over by Mitchell again.

Mitchell was on hand yet again after the break to deny Chris Templeman after the striker was laid off by substitute Denholm.

Just eight minutes into the second half, Forfar equalised through another penalty after Omar Kader was bundled over by Sean Winter, Swankie slotting home past Mitchell.

Travis saw his header cleared off the line, Forfar looking the better side.

The Loons will take on Alloa on Wednesday at Station Park before travelling to the Indodrill Stadium on Sunday, both games on BBC Alba.