Forfar get back on the right track

GOALSCORER: Gavin Swankie netted two for Forfar in their league clash against Stenhousemuir on Saturday.
GOALSCORER: Gavin Swankie netted two for Forfar in their league clash against Stenhousemuir on Saturday.

A WIN is a win - and Forfar duly delivered the three points that got their faltering league campaign back on the tracks.

But their disconcerting recent habit of letting commanding leads slip almost haunted the Loons again as a two goal advantage over Stenhousemuir at Station Park on Saturday was clawed back by the visitors.

Thankfully for Dick Campbell’s men they weathered the storm and hit back themselves to grab the winner through a sensational strike by Kevin Motion.

In truth however, it should have been team mate Gavin Swankie grabbing all the headlines. Swankie, who grabbed a double to put Forfar two ahead after only 21 minutes, had a fine game but had chances aplenty to secure his hat trick which would have probably put the game well beyond the visitors before their fightback.

Forfar fans were hopeful their favourites had learned the lesson of the Scottish Cup double header against Nairn.

But after Swankie’s early double, nerves or slackness or both again crept in and Stenny pulled one back before the break and levelled midway through the second half before Motion’s brilliant strike.

Forfar got off to a flyer, scoring after only four minutes. Swankie took full advantage of quick thinking James Craigen who hit an early free kick to the striker and he ran on to slot the ball past the exposed Robbie Thomson.

Swankie then forced the Stenny keeper into an embarrassing fumble, thomson just managing to scramble the ball away.

But he doubled Forfar’s lead in the 21st minute. Mark McCulloch’s cross was nodded on by Chris Templeman and Swankie hammered home from inside the six yard box.

There was almost a “Zlatan” moment when Michael Bolochoweckyj tried a brilliant overhead kick that Thomson somehow blocked.

But Stenny posted a warning when Brown Ferguson rattled the underside of the forfar crossbar with a stunning 30 yard shot.

And in the 34th minute they did reduce the deficit when Kevin McKinlay’s shot was only parried by keeper David Scott and Ross McMillan smashed the rebound high into the net.

The Warriors pushed ‘til the break and kept up the attacks after the interval. They levelled in the 58th minute after Scott gave away a needless penalty. He rushed to the edge of his box to collect, fumbled and pulled down Ian Thomson. Sub Andy Rodgers hit home the spot kick.

And Rodgers soon forced Scott into a stunning stop to prevent Forfar falling behind.

But the Loons regained their lead in the 73rd minute when Motion slammed a first time pile driver past Thomson from 16 yards after Ross Campbell’s deep cross.