Dunfermline 4-0 Forfar Athletic: Bad run continues for Dick Campbell’s depleted Loons

Photo - Chris Coutts
Photo - Chris Coutts

Forfar Athletic slumped to a 4-0 defeat against title favourites Dunfermline Athletic at East End Park on Saturday.

Goals from David Hopkirk, Joe Cardle and a Ryan Wallace double defeated the Loons who were missing several members of their squad.

After last week’s draw with Ayr Dick Campbell made three changes; Martyn Fotheringham, Derek Young and loanee Scott Martin coming in for injured trio Michael Travis, Kevin Nicoll and Danny Denholm.

The Pars almost opened the scoring after just a minute, Faissal El Bakhtaoui’s volley from the edge of the box needing cleared off the line by Iain Campbell.

The deadlock was broken six minutes later when a through ball found Michael Moffat and despite shouts for offside he raced forward, cutting the ball back for Hopkirk to fire home.

After the goal Forfar settled into the game and almost equalised through Campbell after a quarter of an hour, his free kick flying wide.

Chris Templeman saw his header from a Campbell set piece saved while Gavin Swankie fired over just after half an hour of play.

Templeman had an even better chance to equalise 10 minutes before half time; a poor pass by Marc McAusland saw the striker one on one with Sean Murdoch who raced out to block the shot.

Less than 20 seconds later McAusland was caught again, this time by Swankie who swung a cross in that Templeman met unmarked but saw the header creep wide.

Forfar had chances just after the break again, Martin and Swankie both having efforts held well by Murdoch.

In the 55th minute Hopkirk saw a shot deflected into El Bakhtaoui’s path but the talented striker saw his back post shot knocked wide.

The home side doubled their lead in the 62nd minute when an Andy Geggan cross was fumbled by Rab Douglas and Cardle gleefully fired home.

Geggan then nodded over from a Cardle corner while at the other end Kerr Hay was inches away from connecting with a Templeman flick on.

Dunfermline were in control for the rest of the game with the win all but settled and they made it three with 15 minutes to go when Wallace raced onto a through ball, with Campbell claiming for offside, before firing home.

Pars sub Michael Paton swung a free kick over the bar before he set up Hopkirk, his volley held by Douglas.

Wallace grabbed his second of the game with eight minutes left, firing into the top corner from 20 yards out, giving Douglas no chance.

The result leaves Forfar in fifth as they look to bounce back next week when they face bottom club Brechin City in the Angus derby at Station Park.