Disappointment for 
Forfar Boys Under-16s

If ever there was a clear representation of football being an unforgiving game then Sunday past was one of these times for Forfar Boys Under-16s.

They lost 5-1 at home to Tayport Thistle but the scoreline, harsh as it sounds, in no way reflected the game itself.

Forfar started brightly and an early corner by Simpson was headed just past the back post by Lumgair.

The home side were moving the ball about well, but by midway through the first half they found themselves two goals down.

Apart from picking the ball out of the net twice, Forfar keeper Urquhart was mainly a spectator as Tayport showed very little up front with Norrie, Davidson and the once again impressive Roy keeping the back line in check.

Lumgair had a shot from the right which the visiting keeper saved, then when the ball broke to Edward at the edge of the box from a Simpson corner the Forfar midfielder saw his low effort pushed round the post.

A short corner from the left created a chance for Watt but his hooked effort was saved under the bar, before Simpson cut in from the left and fired a right foot shot just over the bar.

Forfar were playing well and keeping Tayport pegged back and from another Simpson corner Duncan headed over the bar. Ferrier tried his luck from outside the box with a left foot effort which was saved by the busy visiting keeper.

Forfar were thwarted again by the Tayport keeper when he touched a Crozier effort round the post after the Forfar striker was put in by Simpson.

From the resulting corner Duncan headed past the post from another Simpson delivery.

When half time arrived it was hard to fathom why Forfar hadn’t managed to get the ball in the net despite their excellent play and pressure, along with the fact that the visitors had rarely threatened but were two goals ahead.

Early in the second half Forfar conceded another goal which made the task of getting back into the game even harder.

Simpson hit a right foot shot just over the bar after he cut in from the left; then Watt broke through the middle but was denied a clean strike on goal by a good covering tackle.

Tayport then scored a fourth, again against the run of play to put any hope of a comeback firmly to bed. 
The fact that it wasn’t Forfar’s day was summed up when a fizzing shot from the right by Edward was fortuitously scooped across the face of his own goal by the Tayport keeper and out for a corner which was taken by Watt, headed down and goal-bound at the near post by Duncan and scrambled clear off the line by the visiting defence.

Forfar did get a goal back when Duncan fired a low shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the box after the ball broke from yet another Forfar corner.

Luck deserted Forfar again when Davidson played a diagonal ball to Watt who saw his powerful shot deflected to the near post and flapped out for another corner.

Despite trailing Forfar kept at it with Menmuir showing good industry and willingness as the ball broke to Ferrier in the box who smashed a shot over the bar.

Late on in the game, man of the match Simpson saw his free kick deflected over the bar by the defensive wall before Tayport scored a fifth from a clearly offside position.

On reflection, there was no luck or breaks for Forfar on the day, and although their play was excellent at times and the effort was there for all to see, it is scoring goals that wins games. Tayport, to their credit, managed to find the net from sporadic forward play whilst Forfar couldn’t turn possession, good football and scoring opportunities into more than a solitary strike.

Forfar: Urquhart, Simpson, Roy, Norrie, Davidson, Lumgair, Ferrier, Edward, Crozier (c), Watt, Duncan, Menmuir.