Derby day delight for Loons

The Loons took Angus derby bragging rights with a deserved 2-0 victory on Saturday against Brechin City at Station Park.

Dick Campbell made two changes from the Scottish Cup win last week, Stuart Malcolm returning from injury to replace Marvin Andrews whilst 17-year-old Aberdeen loanee Craig Storie made his debut as Gavin Malin dropped to the bench.

Chris Templeman battles for the ball.

Chris Templeman battles for the ball.

Both sides had chances in the first 10 minutes with Dale Hilson firing a free kick over before Greg Cameron’s long-range effort was palmed wide by Rab Douglas.

Forfar looked more likely to grab the opening goal with Gavin Swankie blasting wide in the 17th minute whilst five minutes later a long ball from Storie allowed Hilson to have a shot, but his effort was blocked.

Alan Trouten latched on to a long ball in the 25th minute and his shot forced Douglas into an excellent close-range save.

Forfar should have been ahead in the 27th minute; a corner from Iain Campbell was knocked towards Chris Templeman and with an open goal in front of him, he hit his effort too hard and it went over the bar from six

Dale Hilson volleyed straight at the keeper minutes before Steven Robb had a long-range effort brilliantly pushed over by Douglas and Trouten blasted over.

The Loons took the lead in the 38th minute; Jamie McCluskey beat two defenders before sending in a cross that Hilson knocked home from inside the six-yard box.

Half time: Forfar Athletic 1, Brechin City 0

Dick Campbell’s men came out strong in the second half, Dale Hilson firing over before he set up Templeman but his shot was saved well by Graeme Smith.

On the hour mark Hilson nodded inches past the post whilst Brechin had an opportunity but Trouten fired

Ten minutes later sub Bobby Barr shot straight at Rab Douglas and Derek Carcary did the same in the 76th minute as the away side tried to find an equaliser.

Forfar had been the more dominant side in the second half but couldn’t extend their lead with efforts from Gary Fusco and Hilson again going wide.

Hilson was forced off in the 84th minute after suffering an injury, Ross Campbell coming on in his place.

It only took him two minutes to make a difference, running onto a Templeman knockdown and lifting the ball over the keeper to double the Loons’ lead and his goal tally for the season.

Templeman had another attempt saved before the final whistle went, giving Forfar their first derby victory at home since September 2012, also against Brechin.

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter (Gavin Malin 87), Iain Campbell, Darren Dods, Stuart Malcolm, Gary Fusco, Jamie McCluskey (Omar Kader 69), Craig Storie, Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie, Dale Hilson (Ross Campbell 84). Subs not used: Marvin Andrews, Martyn Fotheringham, Neil McCabe, Ross Salmon.

Brechin City: Graeme Smith, Paul McLean, Jonathan Brown, Graham Hay, Ewan Moyes, Greg Cameron (Craig Molloy 57), Alan Trouten, Darren Petrie, Andy Jackson, Andy Ryan (Bobby Barr 67), Steven Robb (Derek Carcary 57). Subs not used: Steven Jackson, Stuart Anderson, Gerry McLauchlan, Craig Nelson (gk).