Bad luck continues for Kirrie Thistle

Thistle, spurred on by the return of goalkeeper Mark Stewart after a long term absence, battered their hosts but went down 2-1 leaving them without a league win in eight weeks, writes Glen Barclay.

The visitors started well and took the lead inside five minutes when defender Cane lost his footing allowing the well placed James Russell to drive low into the left corner.

Livingston responded well, with shots from Anderson and Forbes troubling the Kirrie rearguard. Anderson and Forbes again linked up together and almost levelled for the hosts but Forbes’ low shot was comfortably gathered by Stewart at the second attempt. Livingston drew level when Shaun Conway got the ball caught up in his feet allowing McCavoy the chance to smash home in off the post. But the recently signed defender did well to keep the scores level with a last ditch slide challenge on the home side’s Forbes.

Stewart saved Kirrie again superbly denying Forbes’ lengthy drive. After that Thistle raced up the pitch and were awarded a penalty for a foul on Russell, but Dolan brilliantly saved usually reliable spot kick taker Sievwright’s rising effort to keep the scores one a piece. Thistle were reduced to 10 men before the break, Robbie George given his marching orders for a lunge on Burns, a poor decision by the referee as George had appeared to slip before making little contact with the man.

Ten minutes into the second half Livingston took the lead, Forbes the scorer volleying home from a perfectly weighted cross by Murphy.

Tall striker Forbes threatened again, his trademark looping header going inches wide. Stewart was looking sharp in the Thistle goal denying Anderson, McCavoy and Murphy in quick succession. The visitors were awarded a penalty for the second time when Russell’s close range shot was adjudged to have struck an arm, but Siewright missed this time blasting high over the bar. Kirrie had one last chance to equalise but Conway’s effort from distance zipped past the post.