A stalemate for Forfar West End

Saturday afternoon saw West End travel to the West side of Glasgow for a tricky Scottish Cup encounter against Cumbernauld United.

West End were very much the underdogs going into this tie but were going to give their all and prove they can compete with the best in the junior ranks.

The game was under way with the conditions of the park not ideal as it was very muddy and quite soft underfoot, the home side came out the blocks flying and with a few early corners were putting the pressure on the visiting defence, but they coped well with any danger that came their way.

At the other end Scott, Cox and Ramsay were giving the home side something to think about with some neat interchanges. The first real chance of the match fell to United’s main striker but he somehow screwed his shot wide from 12 yards out after some neat play down the right hand side, he then again raced clear 10 minutes later but Johnstone looked smart coming off his line to make an unorthodox save with his face as he dived at the feet of the attacker.

West End then created their best chance of the afternoon so far when neat play from Ramsay and McKenzie created a shooting chance for Grant but his tame effort was smothered by the goalkeeper, who then again had to look sharp as Scott raced clear but dived at his feet to gather the ball.

Cumbernauld were then on the front foot again and created three or four good goal scoring opportunities but Johnstone stood up to anything thrown at him, Cairney and Black were proving a solid partnership in the heart of the defence, the first time they have played together in that central role. The half time whistle went with the match all square and the home side frustrated not to be going in with a lead.

The second half was under way with West End looking to try and sneak that all important breakthrough, and it nearly came in the 50th minute with a snap shot from Scott just drifting wide of the post. The home side were poising a threat all afternoon and their front line was not giving the visitors a minute’s peace.

West End seemed more comfortable in the second period and replaced Kelly for Mullen at right back, Cox just couldn’t get himself into the game but when he did he was giving the backline a torrid time and fired a shot from distance that just whisked past the post. Taylor and Irons replaced Grant and Ramsay towards the end of the match.

With the clock ticking, Cox could have snatched a late winner for the visitors when he raced clear but decided to check back and was held up by the defender, the resulting corner came to nothing and the game was brought to a close with a draw being the fairest result on the day.