A point apiece from derby day clash

Forfar Athletic took just a point from their derby clash with Brechin City on Saturday in a lacklustre display from both sides.

The Loons had been favourites going into the game but failed to create many chances while Brechin created more opportunities but failed to see them through.

A goal apiece in the second half saw a share of the spoils though by all accounts the result had been flattering to the home side.

Loons boss Dick Campbell kept the same starting 11 that lined up against Ayr United on Tuesday night but they failed to replicate the impact they had made at Somerset Park.

Brechin started off the stronger side with a couple of chances for Ryan Ferguson and Andy Jackson coming in quick succession within the first 10 minutes.

In the 11th minute Hilson had an excellent opportunity to open the account but after excellent work by Gavin Swankie and Iain Campbell he sent the ball past the post.

Moments later a Gary Fusco effort was blocked well by Robert Thomson.

Rab Douglas was forced into making an impeccable save in the 18th minute when Allan Walker fired from long range. Walker failed to find the net once again five minutes later when he sent the ball over the bar.

More efforts for the visitors followed as the half progressed but Thomson and Craig Molloy also failed to see their opportunities hit the mark.

A fantastic run by Gavin Swankie saw him cross to Hilson in the closing stages of the half. Hilson managed to send the ball through the Brechin defence but was unfortunate to see it fall to the arms of Graeme Smith.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 0, Brechin City 0

Again it was the visitors who started the stronger side in the second half and a good run from Ryan Ferguson saw him cross to Andy Jackson who saw his shot blocked by the home defence.

But it was Forfar who took the lead in the 52nd minute when Chris Templeman found Hilson who sent his low shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Five minutes later Campbell made his first substitution when Stuart Malcolm was replaced by Marvin Andrews. Four minutes later another Forfar substitution was Martyn Fotheringham on for Neil McCabe.

Brechin brought on Alan Trouten to replace Gregg Cameron.

Neither side looked likely to score for the next few minutes and Brechin made a further substitution when Bobby Barr replaced Thomson.

There was a worrying moment for the home side moments later when substitution Fotheringham had to come off unwell to be replaced by James Dale.

In the 71st minute the visitors almost equalised when Alan Trouten latched on to a Steven Jackson cross only to hit the post. But seconds later Brechin took their long awaited goal when a Ross Campbell error saw the ball picked up by Andy Jackson who sent the ball past ‘keeper Douglas.

In the closing stages of the game there was little for either side to get excited about. For the home side Hilson sent an effort straight into Smith’s arms with 12 minutes to go while a Swankie attempt went wide in the last minute.

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter, Iain Campbell 6, Stuart Malcolm (Marvin Andrews 56), Darren Dods, Gary Fusco, Ross Campbell, Neil McCabe (Martyn Fotheringham 59 (James Dale 69), Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie, Dale Hilson. Subs not used: Gavin Malin, Jamie McCluskey, Omar Kader, Darren Hill (gk).

Brechin City: Graeme Smith, Steven Jackson, Darren Petrie, Graham Hay, Gerry McLauchlan, Greg Cameron (Alan Trouten 59), Ryan Ferguson, Allan Walker, Andy Jackson, Craig Molloy, Robert Thomson (Bobby Barr 69).Subs not used: Steven Robb, Ben Tough (gk), Craig Nelson (gk).