A cup victory for Farmington

FARMINGTON Eagles and Montrose were involved in a tight League Cup encounter in what turned out to be a very entertaining match.

Eagles started well and opened the scoring in the first minute with the ever busy Chloe Reilly latching onto a ball from Kerys Jay Donoghue to bundle the ball over the line. Chances came and went for the Eagles but they failed to get a second goal before half-time.

The Eagles increased their lead to 2-0 on 35 minutes when Rebecca McMillan smashed home a free kick into the roof of the Montrose net.

Montrose then stormed back and were awarded a penalty for hand ball on 45 minutes duly converted to make it 2-1. Holly Milne and Kerys Donoghue then had to combine at a Montrose corner to keep the ball out with Donoghue making a fantastic last gasp tackle.

The Eagles had chances to tie up the game, the best falling to Cali Roberts but with minutes remaining ‘keeper Milne saved brilliantly and the Eagles held on to win 2-1.

Team: Holly Milne, Kerys Donoghue, Dawn Stewart, Cali Roberts, (c) Rebecca McMillan, Chloe Reilly, Amanda-Leigh Hay. Subs - Cara Florence, Caitlyn McFarlane, Jessica McGregor, Rachel Brunton.

On Saturday, summer football finally arrived as Forfar Farmington Under 17’s traveled north to face Aberdeen.

Goals from Jade McLaren, Laura Parsley (2), Megan Burns, Chloe Dunn (3), Amy Gallacher and Kayleigh Brough ensured a comfortable 9-1 win.

In the Under-15 match Forfar Wildcats had to thank Hannah Dryden for a brilliant penalty save with Katie Valentine and Lia Cameron notching the goals in a 2-1 win over East Fife

The Under-13’s also had a fine 7-0 victory over Celtic Hoops goals coming from Lois Miller, Emma Sommerville (2), Erin Thomson and a Caitlin Mitchell hat-trick.

In the senior section Farmington Ladies continued their fine start to the season disposing of Stenhousmuir 6-3, Robyn Smith (2) Dani McGinley (2) Gemma Mulholland and an own goal. completing the scoring.

In the Premier League Mark Nisbet’s outfit fought out a tough 0-0 draw in Glasgow against a much improved Rangers side.