Residents call for action over drugs

Clova Road in Kirriemuir.
Clova Road in Kirriemuir.

Residents of a once quiet Kirriemuir street have attended meetings of the town’s community council in an attempt to raise awareness of issues they are having to deal with “around the clock”.

They are calling for action and support from Angus Council and Police Scotland, claiming “no-one is listening”.

At last week’s meeting they asked for something to be done with problem neighbours who have moved in and who, they claim, are dealing and using drugs.

One said: “It is beyond the joke. There are at least seven houses involved. It is like Piccadilly Circus. There are cars and motorbikes turning up morning, noon and night and into the early hours of the morning. It is just not on.”

Another told the meeting she had waited two years to move in to Clova Road after experiencing similar problems in another street in the town.

She said: “The same thing is happening here. Certain people are moving into the area and they are bringing the place down. There are children outside playing where all this is going on. It can be at any time of the day.

“The street used to be so quiet but the council is moving more of these people in and they are spoiling it. It is just wrong.”

Members of the community council urged the residents to contact Police Scotland and Angus Council to register their concerns.

When contacted about the claims of anti-social behaviour by some of the residents involved, a Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Officers from Police Scotland carry out regular visits to addresses in communities and patrol areas throughout Tayside to provide reassurance and to keep people safe.

“Anti-social behaviour is always taken seriously and officers work closely with partners as they are acutely aware of the upset that any form of anti-social behaviour can have within a community. Officers continue to engage with community partnerships to discuss matters and will provide appropriate support and advice for residents.

“Anyone who wishes to report anti-social behaviour in their area is encouraged to contact Police Scotland on 101, their local authority or housing provider.”

A council spokesperson said: “We welcome complaints from the public at our ACCESS Offices or by telephone: 08452 777 778. However, where a crime is being committed we would ask the public to contact the police.”