Refurbishment for Meffan means new and improved exhibits

The Meffan in Forfar.
The Meffan in Forfar.

The ever-popular gallery of local history at the Meffan Museum in Forfar has opened its doors after a recent refurbishment project.

Previous visitors to the museum now have many more exhibits to enjoy and those visiting for the first time are sure to find something to interest them.

The Museum’s previous display of Pictish stones has been upgraded, with the addition of a further four stones.

Visitors who remember the museum’s much-loved recreation of a historic Forfar street will be happy to walk along its cobbles again, on their way to viewing new displays that celebrate three of the town’s most famous sons, plus local industry and commerce.

To celebrate the Year of Natural Scotland, the gallery includes a display of objects from the museum’s natural history collection.

This features birds, insects and a selection of animals preserved in fluid.

This display will run until the end of 2013.

The Meffan was built in 1898 as a bequest from the daughter of Provost Meffan. Originally it was used as the town library and museum but in recent years it has become a popular art gallery as well as the museum.

Every month new art exhibitions are staged and these ever changing exhibitions bring to Forfar the work of a range of contemporary Scottish artists.

Year round staff at the museum collect objects, photographs and archive material relating to the history of Forfar together with the work of past and contemporary artists reflecting the rich art heritage of Angus.

The collection consists of several thousand objects, paintings and drawings gifted or bequeathed to the museum and it is well worth a visit.

The Meffan Museum & Gallery is open from Tuesday to Saturday, year round, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., with no admission charge.

Further information is available by phone, on 01307 476482,