Police appeal after motor cycle annoyance

editorial image

Officers from Police Scotland based in Angus are asking residents to report incidents of motorcycle annoyance following recent complaints in Forfar and Kirriemuir.

About 4.30 p.m. yesterday (Tuesday), an off road motorcycle was seen in The Roods, Kirriemuir travelling at speed and was also causing excessive noise.

Later that evening at around 9.30 p.m. two men were seen with a small motorcycle in Victoria Street, Forfar, not wearing helmets and also causing excessive noise.

Sergeant Fergus Storrier, Community Policing, Angus said: “This type of behaviour generally causes annoyance, alarm and distress to local residents. Not wearing approved crash helmets, or having a properly maintained motor cycle, can be dangerous and can result in sustaining serious injuries or in extreme cases can be fatal.

“Anyone found to be using these vehicles in an anti-social or unlawful manner may have the vehicle seized and will have to pay the recovery and storage charges to have the vehicle released. The rider is also likely to be prosecuted for contravention of the Road Traffic Act. You cannot ride these vehicles on public land, parks, pavements, paths, or cycle tracks, waste ground or parkways. The only legal way is on private land and only with the permission of the landowner.

“Members of the public are encouraged to report these incidents to police, including descriptions of the motor bike, clothing worn by the rider, any regular times that they appear and where so that we can take positive action against the culprits. If parents are considering purchasing this type of vehicle for their children please consider all the facts and in particular in respect of their child’s safety.

“To ride a motor bike on the road it must be especially built for road use. As the rider you have to be the relevant age and you will need: registration documents, MOT, licence, road tax, insurance, number plates and an approved crash helmet. A motorbike built for road use can then be used on the roads but nowhere else. Without all of these things in place you are breaking the law.”

If you have any information you think may be useful please contact Police Scotland on 101 or speak to any police officer. Information can also be provided anonymously to the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.