New Tayside commander

Chief Superintendent Eddie Smith.
Chief Superintendent Eddie Smith.

Police Scotland has appointed Chief Superintendent Eddie Smith as the new Divisional Commander for Tayside.

He took up his new role this week at the divisional headquarters in Bell Street, Dundee.

Chief Supt Smith succeeds Chief Superintendent Hamish Macpherson, who has moved to the Police Scotland national IT project.

Chief Supt Smith, 48, joined the former Strathclyde Police in 1986, serving in various roles in North and South Lanarkshire, Glasgow and Dunbartonshire.

He was the Divisional Commander of the South Lanarkshire Division before leading the team that introduced the 14 Division structure and the community based service approach for the new Police Scotland.

Chief Supt Smith is also a trained hostage/crisis negotiator, a public order Gold Commander and a firearms strategic Gold Commander. He is also a trainer on the Police Scotland Event Commanders course, specialising in the role of football match Commander.

He said he is delighted by his Tayside appointment and is relishing continuing to develop the service provided by Police Scotland.

He added: “I want to pay tribute to the excellent work done by Hamish Macpherson and look forward to building on all that he has done in the Tayside Division to help reduce crime and keep people safe.

“The ability and dedication of the officers and civilian staff in the Division has already impressed me and I am confident that we will continue to help make Tayside one of the safest and best places to live and work in Scotland.

“I recognise the importance of close working relations with our partners and will use this approach to build on the strong performance we have already seen in the first year of Police Scotland.”

Assistant Chief Constable Local Policing (North) Campbell Thomson welcomed Chief Supt Smith to his command team.

He said: “Eddie brings a wealth of experience and ability to his new role and I am confident he will add to the good work that has already been carried out in the Tayside Division.”