DCSIMG

Parents informed by letter of school action

Forfar Academy.

Forfar Academy.

Staff and pupils at Forfar Academy were left reeling last week after revelations emerged in court regarding a popular computing and IT teacher at the school.

Gordon Milne appeared at Dundee Sheriff Court on Wednesday where he admitted possessing indecent photographs of children and taking or making indecent photographs of children between November 2011 and January 2013.

It emerged he set up a hidden camera to secretly film a teenage girl as she undressed and showered. He had hidden a mobile phone in a bathroom to record footage of the girl, which he later downloaded to his laptop.

The video was discovered by police, along with a stash of more than 1,500 indecent images of children, after the married 33-year-old was arrested at a teaching conference in a Carnoustie Hotel.

Milne, now of Raitt, Blairgowrie, was placed on the sex offenders register and granted bail ahead of sentencing on May 30.

The court heard there was no evidence Milne had distributed the images or videos.

When the news broke on Wednesday former pupils and pupils at the school took to social media sites to express their concerns and confusion.

Posts included: “Can’t get my head around it”, “I’m in shock” and “It’s really scary, used to go on Duke of Edinburgh trips with him.”

At the time of going to press on Tuesday (yesterday), an Angus Council spokesperson said: “Following Mr Milne’s court appearance last week, Angus Council is now proceeding with disciplinary action. Mr Milne has been suspended since the council was informed of the charges against him. The General Teaching Council of Scotland has been informed.”

The spokesperson confirmed the council’s head of schools and learning, Pauline Stephen, has written to the parents of all pupils at Forfar Academy to inform them of the matter and outline the support available to the school community.

Referencing the impact this case has had on the school community Dr Stephen says in her letter: “The nature of the offences is deeply shocking for young people, staff, parents and all members of the wider school community. We have been let down by someone who was a trusted colleague and teacher. We are working with pupils and staff to support them into the new term and to help them move on from this incident.”

The council spokesperson stated that as part of that process staff will raise the matter with pupils in form time and will highlight the support available for anyone with concerns or questions around the matter.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page