Fire Service helping with flooding

The latest fire is the second in the area in a few days

The latest fire is the second in the area in a few days

0
Have your say

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is currently dealing with a number of flood related calls in the Tayside and Aberdeenshire areas.

SFRS received a call about flooding in the Fowlis area of Angus at 7.30am this morning (Tuesday). Crews are currently pumping out flood water the area.

Appliances from Dunkeld, Kinross, MacAlpine Road in Dundee and the water rescue team from Perth are also involved in dealing with flooding incidents relating to flooding in the Marshall Place and South Street areas of Perth.

SFRS are not currently dealing with any incidents in the Ballater and Deeside areas which have been badly affected by flooding over the past few days.

Local Senior Officer for Perth and Kinross, Angus and Dundee, Colin Grieve, said: “Throughout the weekend fire and rescue personnel have worked tirelessly, along with local resilience partners, to minimise the impact on those affected by the weather and related conditions.

“As well as supporting locally we have assisted colleagues in the rest of the North of Scotland to ensure that the SFRS is doing all it can to help those in need.

“The benefits of a Scottish Service have shown themselves over the last days and as we have been able to call upon specialist equipment and resources from Fife, Falkirk and Alloa.

“This has been a traumatic time for everyone affected, which has included some of our own fire service personnel, and we will continue to work with partners to minimise the effects, and assist people where we can.”

During this period of unsettled weather, people are advised to stay up to date with the latest Met Office forecasts and National Severe Weather Warnings and find out what to do in severe weather so they can plan ahead for the weather in store.

Further information from partners on the severe weather is available on the Met Office website and SEPA flood updates are available here.

The main risks normally associated with weather patterns such as this are flooding and loss of power due to the wind and rain. As a result the public may find themselves in a situation where their homes are affected. The Fire Service would like to remind anyone who finds themselves without power or water entering the home that they can take a few simple steps to ensure, they are not placed in any additional risk from fire.

When using candles never leave them unattended and make sure you blow them out when you leave the house or go to bed. Make sure that when in use, candles are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains, Christmas trees, decorations and toys. Other tips include:

Children and pets should not be left alone with lit candles.

Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.

Trim the wick to a quarter inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

Don’t move candles once they are lit

Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.

Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tea-lights).

Always make sure tea-lights are placed in a proper holder. The foil container which tea lights come in can get very hot. They can melt through plastic, such as a bath, and have the potential to start a house fire.

Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out when embers can fly.

If your home suffers a loss of power or is flooded and you are using portable heaters to heat or dry out your home here are some simple tips to keep you safe:

Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.

Unplug or switch off portable heaters when you go out or go to bed.

Secure portable heaters in position to avoid the risk of them being knocked over.

Only use gas or paraffin heaters in well-ventilated areas. Heaters consume oxygen and in enclosed spaces can produce harmful gases and/or cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fit a Carbon Monoxide detector in all rooms containing gas or paraffin heaters.

Never use portable gas cylinder heaters in high rise flats

Always change gas cylinders in the open air. Never change gas cylinders in an enclosed space.

If you or someone you know is vulnerable or may be at risk from fire please get in touch and arrange a FREE home fire safety visit with local firefighters by calling 0800 0731 999 or visit www.firescotland.gov.uk.