New era for Tayside Police

Tayside Police Chief Constable Justine Curran delivered the force’s final annual report to the Tayside Joint Police Board in Forfar earlier this week.

In what she describes as a very special report that details the performance of the Force over the last year and marks the end of an era, Ms Curran pays tribute to police officers and staff – past and present. She said: “I am very proud of what the Force has achieved and of the years of dedicated public service that officers and staff have given to make it so successful.

“As we prepare for a new Police Service of Scotland in 2013, I promise you that the communities will remain at the heart of everything we do.

“We move into a new era with a strong legacy of good quality policing and commitment to Tayside.

“We take that with us as we aim for more in 2013 and beyond.”

Tayside Police met 17 of its 20 targets during 2011-12, with improvements recorded in all areas of crime reduction and detection. The exception was in detecting incidents of vandalism, which saw a slight drop from 32.1% to 30.4% (-1.7%).

In all, there were 3248 fewer crimes in Tayside during 2011-12 compared to the 2010-11. That is 3248 fewer victims of crime.

Within that were 208 fewer victims (and also victim’s families) of domestic housebreaking and 1334 fewer victims of vandalism.

In common with elsewhere in Scotland and indeed the United Kingdom, drugs continue to be a challenge for communities across Tayside. Residents can be assured that our officers will exploit every opportunity to tackle drug dealing in our area and we in turn would ask them to give us the information we need to target the dealers and put them before the courts.

Not only will they face the full punishment of law, we will also seek to have their profits taken from them. In the last year alone, Tayside Police seized £344,182 of cash from criminals at the same time as removing large quantities of drugs from out streets.

Targets for sickness absence of officers and staff were surpassed, with absence rates recorded at 3.8% for police officers and 4.1% for police staff.

The report shoes that Tayside Police performed strongly in respect of customer satisfaction, particularly in respect of overall satisfaction at the first point of contact, which achieved a 93.6% result.

However, the Force fell short of customer satisfaction results by 0.2% when it came to updating the public about their enquiry and, while there was an improvement in overall customer satisfaction from 82.3% to 82.5%, it just failed to reach the demanding target set of 85%.

It was also encouraging that the pubic satisfaction and confidence survey of 3,600 people revealed that 85% of people in Dundee, 93.2% of those in Angus and 93.7% of people living in Perth and Kinross said their neighbourhood was a safe place to live.

Chief Constable Curran said: “These results are consistently above the Scottish average and I am very proud of what we have achieved.

“However, none of this would have been possible without the hard work and commitment shown not only by our team but also by our many partners in health, social work, other blue light services, councils, industry and the voluntary sector to name just a few.

“The most important relationship we have is with our communities. We have listened to your concerns and aspirations over the last year and worked towards addressing them. We look forward to continue working with and for you in the coming year.”