Crash on Angus road injures 11

A FARMER and his daughter had a lucky escape after the tractor they were travelling in toppled in a collision with a bus on a busy Angus road on Wednesday.

Arthur Duff (53), was travelling in his John Deere tractor to take his 18-year-old daughter to work at Brechin Castle Centre.

The tractor, which suffered extensive damaged, was involved in a collision with a Stagecoach passenger bus which was carrying out an overtaking manoeuvre and the impact sent the tractor spinning before flipping over.

The pair managed to escape the John Deere by crawling free out of the broken rear window with only minor injuries.

Nine passengers who were on Stagecoach’s Brechin to Forfar service were taken to hospital to be checked over.

Six of the passengers were taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee and the other three were taken to Brechin Infirmary.

None of the injuries were believed to be serious.

The accident happened at 10.18 a.m. and was closed for a further two hours on the A 935 and had a quick response from police, trauma team, six ambulances and Tayside Fire and Rescue.

A section of the road was closed so that passengers could be treated by paramedics on the bus and was reopened just before noon.

A young woman travelling on the bus to Forfar said: “The bus pulled out and overtook the Range Rover and was about to overtake the tractor when it turned into its path. The driver tried to brake as hard as he could.

“I was looking out the window so could see what was away to happen. I managed to grab the bar in front of me. I’ve sprained my wrists and have a small cut to my lip.”

“The woman who was sitting next to me smacked her lip off the bar. It was bleeding heavily and she spat out a tooth.”

Stagecoach said that it had launched an internal investigation into the accident.

A spokesperson said: “One of our vehicles operating on route 21 between Brechin and Forfar has been involved in an incident with a tractor.

“Safety is our absolute priority and our immediate concerns are with those involved in this incident.

“We will assist police with their enquiries and we have also commenced a full internal investigation into the circumstances of this incident.”

A spokesperson for Tayside Police said inquiries were continuing into the accident.