Check your electoral roll details are correct

The Scottish Parliament election is on Thursday, May 5.
The Scottish Parliament election is on Thursday, May 5.

Angus householders will soon receive a form asking them to check their electoral register details are correct as part of the annual voter registration canvass.

The aim of the Household Enquiry Form is to ensure that the electoral register is up to date and to identify any residents who are not registered so that they can be encouraged to do so.

With Scottish Local Government elections taking place on May 4, 2017, this is an opportunity for residents to make sure that when the elections take place they will be able to take part.

Those who are aged 16 or over on May 4, 2017, may be able to vote at this election and the Electoral Registration Officer for Angus Council and Perth & Kinross Council will also be encouraging those eligible to vote for the first time to register to vote.

Mr Alastair Kirkwood, the Electoral Registration Officer said: “The annual canvass is an opportunity for people to easily check whether they’re registered. This includes anyone who will be 16 years old by November 30, 2017. Anyone that wants to vote must be registered.

“To make sure you are able to vote at the elections next year, simply check the form when it arrives and return it as soon as possible.

“We would encourage you to take advantage of the facility of being able to simply reply online, by telephone, or by text message.

“You can also complete and return the form in the reply paid envelope provided to you.

“If the information is different to that on the form, you can still provide details via the online service or by completing the form. You can also ask for a postal vote or proxy vote and we will arrange to send application forms to you.

“If you’re not currently registered, please reply and we will send you information explaining how to do this or you can just go online to apply to register at .”

It is particularly important that anyone who has moved address recently looks out for the form and checks whether they are registered at the correct address.

If you have changed address in the last year, it is likely that you will need to register at your new address, so check the form as soon as it arrives.

Any residents who have any questions can contact the Electoral Registration Office in Forfar on 01307 462416, or in Perth at 01738 630303.