The doors of Kirriemuir’s cricket pavilion will be opened to the public this weekend to mark the 85th anniversary of its official opening by Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie.
A keen cricket fan, Barrie paid for the building on Kirrie Hill, which includes a camera obscura, and presented it to his home town officially on June 7, 1930.
The opening will offer an opportunity for local residents to find out more about how the building’s future is being secured by a local group which has taken over its operation.
Hit earlier this year by Angus Council’s budget cuts, its future was in doubt after the local authority withdrew its £10,000 annual funding paid to the National Trust for Scotland which ran the attraction on the council’s behalf.
The move sparked the formation of the Kirriemuir Regeneration Group, a group of volunteers who felt that the camera obscura should be preserved and which now has plans for its development.
Sunday will be a chance to see what the group has achieved so far and to have an input into its plans.